Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Orientation is over, classes will begin

Today was the last day of orientation and I met wonderful people. I was the only native English speaker in my group but not the only foreign exchange student, two other girls were from Venezuela and Argentina. My team captains were so patient with my Spanish and I felt so comfortable. By the last day I was even up on stage dancing in front the entire student body orientation. Ok not by choice but I still did it and had a great time. I was even complemented on my rhythm and the director even said, "Hey you can dance". Pretty nice compliment for me! It encouraged me to sign up for Salsa dancing lessons 3 hours a week. I also met a wonderful girl from Hidalgo, a neighboring state, whose parents moved to Queretaro a few months ago and opened a restaurant. They invited me and two other friends to join them for dinner at "Meson de los Santos" or the great table of the Santos family. We were able to try a little bit of everything and I left stuffed. I watched the cook make tortillas and I ate them while they were still so hot. I learned you tear your tortilla and use your fork to spoon the fillings of different meats and chili sauces into one bite, if you put all your fillings into the whole tortilla it's a taco. They told me they are my family and I am always welcome to come to the restaurant anytime whether I want to eat, need help on my Spanish homework or just want to hang out. The hospitality is incredible in this country.

My neighborhood is quiet most of the time except for small bursts of activity. A guy selling tamales on his bike yelling "TAAAAMMMMMAAALLLLLLEEEEEEESSSSS". Every night, rain or shine, he'll be around selling tamales so keep an ear out if you are hungry. I'm going to let my stomach adjust a little more before trying them but it is a wonderful thing to hear. We also live near many churches that light fireworks in celebration of the saint of the day, so you hear them most nights, or on Sundays starting at 6 am. Students in my neighborhood play instruments, the violin and the piano can be heard at random times. The birds sing and the dogs bark, families organize, music blares. The sounds of a healthy neighborhood. Garbage is picked up everyday, except Sundays, either hung on hooks or in baskets that look like disc golf baskets without the chains. I live near a very lively part of town but far enough away to avoid the loud late nights. I keep asking myself what did I do to deserve such a great experience but I know my positive attitude invites positive moments, so I just remain thankful.