Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Getting ready for departure

Wow what an adventure it has been and I'm still a month away from leaving. Between figuring out what classes to take, where to live, what vaccines and medication I will need, plus applying for a visa... The process can be a little overwhelming. Luckily, I know to take it one step at a time. Make a list of things you have to get done and slowly one by one, mark them off. My best advice is to start this process early! I remember right after I signed my Spanish major I started looking into where I wanted to study abroad, two years before I planned on going. After talking to an adviser about Mexico, I found my fit. My adviser told me about internships I would be interested in, plus being an expert on the city, he told me all about the great things I will find there.

Now I just need to board my plane and get there right? Not quite as simple, but well worth the work (and if it was so easy it wouldn't be so worth it). You have wonderful people to assist you, you just have to ask and ask early enough! Be prepared for snail mail, waiting for emails and answers.  This is all good since you are getting an early start.   Also, be consistent yet respectful with the people who are trying to help you with this process, you are not the only student they are helping so be mindful.  Another piece of advice... Have a little more money than you think you might need to get yourself going in the process. The cost of vaccines, medication, airline tickets (plus the cost of traveling), visas (hopefully I get mine on the first try, plus the gas it takes to get the visa depending on how far you are traveling, also added costs of acquiring necessary documents like bank statements), I needed to get a passport, a new laptop, plus a new backpack.  I think with such an amazing adventure I am about to embark on, it is obvious to assume set backs. If you expect set backs, you can catch them early before time is an issue (and remain calm). The study abroad process is simply time consuming and stressful as one thing can throw off your plans (and that is frightening thought... NOT GOING!!).

I hope all my fellow students embark on the greatest travel and educational adventure of a lifetime, regardless of the time, energy and money it takes to get there. The excitement and day dreams of Mexico have fueled me through the whole process, with risk and hard work comes a truly satisfying reward and accomplishment and I have only myself to thank for that, and of course everyone who has supported me. For now I will continue to watch the World Cup on Univision and reading my novela, Como agua para chocolate, trying to keep my Spanish fresh.

"Life wouldn't be worth living if you are simply repeating the same formulas of your success."
- Carlos Fuentes