Friday, August 8, 2014

My first day in Mexico

My first day in Mexico was straight out of dream. I couldn't have imagined it better myself. I got off the plane at 6 in the morning feeling exhausted and nauseous. I had just ended a two week, 4 state, 6 flight trip around the west coast to visit my family. As I left customs with my bags, I expected to need to catch a bus to Queretaro but was relieved to see my name typed out on a piece of paper held by a driver who would take me to school. I slept the whole way after we watched the sunrise over Mexico city, with the friendly company of two students from Paris. When we arrived at the Tec we left our bags and started in the Housing Workshop, a small computer room full of foreign exchange students and local students making calls for them. Paula was so sweet and helpful. My first look at an apartment lead me to a dead end, but a refreshing walk. Roads, street lights and signs seem unorganized to me and crosswalks underutilized, but I kept an eye out and enjoyed the chaos. When I returned Paula came and told me someone was here with a room available, "the girl in the pink shirt". I approached her and we chatted a little bit. She took me to see the place and it had everything I was looking for: close to campus, big kitchen, bed and friendly environment. It was just what I imagined. I was moved in by 1 pm. I knew I was happy to live with international students or locals to help with my Spanish and I am lucky enough to have the best of both worlds, Sarah is from France while Erick and Yolanda are from Mexico. Yolanda took Sarah and I to El Mercado de la Cruz, the big open air market in Queretaro. She showed us her favorite stall, how to look for the best produce and seafood, and helped me get use to the peso. Yolanda made us a traditional dish for dinner, quesadillas with a rich white cheese similar to mozzarella but way better flavor. She was cute to apologize for the poor quality corn tortillas she used (store bought in a bag), but the kind available in the states so I didn't have a problem. She also made huitlacoche. A dish made with onions, jalapeno, a green herb I forgot the name of, fresh corn and moldy corn. The moldy corn has something added to it to make it mold and the kernels turn black and puffed up.

I squirted some lime on mine and went back for seconds. It is a mild flavored dish that I hope to make again myself. I am so lucky to have found this living situation, make friends already and be immersed in the culture. Not everyone I have met is as lucky to live close by, or with as great of company, or even have a place to live yet at all. I know I took a nontraditional risk at finding my own place to stay, but it has given me great rewards. This is what I had in mind when I decided to study abroad, a positive attitude can take you a long way.